Thursday 6 October 2011

Annal 73: Tale from the Foible

First of all, I would like to say that I am in a state of perfect relaxation right now.  My midterms are done for two weeks, I am caught up on schoolwork (for today), I had a lovely phone date with my cousin, I just finished taking an incredibly hot bath, and I am now stretched upon the couch, wet hair surrounding me while my eyes are barely able to remain open.  Which means I should probably take a nap, but the truth is I have not been this inspired to write in a long time, and so I will do so.  That and I head home for Thanksgiving tomorrow so I don't know if I will be able to write for a few days.

You know when you are reading a romance novel and the hero and heroine are always perfect except for their one foible which never seems to be all that bad?  Like he is stubborn but the author always makes stubborness seem incredibly sexy?  Or she is a klutz but that just gives the author an excuse to repeatedly write her into his arms?

Well, I'm not one of those heroines.

I have multiple foibles (my cousin used the word today and I fear I will be finding ways to interject it into conversations all weekend long)!  But one of mine does happen to be klutziness.

I got off the bus yesterday afternoon and dashed across the road.  Of course, me dashing while holding a computer case, a bag full of books, and my winter jacket proceeded to be more of a me catching my foot on the curb and tumbling face down.  My jeans have the grass marks to prove it.  In a novel, a hero would be there to catch me.  In my case there was an older gentleman about 100m away from whom I tried to avert my eyes while looking like I was laughing at myself.

Monday morning I was making my way down some cement stairs at the university.  Now you need to understand that when I am in this stairwell I always feel like I am somewhat of a secret agent.  I don't know what it is, but I can always see myself dodging bullets and running from someone who is chasing me (cool, right?).  Well, this is hard to do when you are ladened down with the same things mentioned in the above paragraph.  So instead of dodging bullets, my feet were dodging steps.  I didn't fall, but I did catch my foot and almost went head first toward the beautiful window in front of me.  Again, I was alone.

A few years ago I was running into the school I worked at when my foot caught the sidewalk in front of it.  I didn't just fall, I also bashed by face on the wooden beams surrounding the flower beds out front.  And heroes around?  Not unless you count the parents all waiting to pick up their children who let out somewhat of a collective gasp upon my little escapade.

Or there was my brothers' wedding (they had a double wedding).  I was a bridesmaid in one of them and discovered high heels in winter don't work well for me.  The groomsman may have been there to help me, but he only succeeded in being pulled down as well.

My point is, in these novels it is these foibles or flaws that always bring the hero and heroine together.  In my story, they are the things that usually make me feel uniquely me.  And remind me that I am single and there is no one to catch me when I fall :-p

So if your foibles have not thrust you into the arms of your hero, or thrust your heroine into your arms, have no fear: they haven't done so for me either!

The thing is, I don't try to be klutzy.  The truth is, I do try to be graceful.  But sometimes I forget that my clumsiness comes naturally to me and that I am more likely to fall on my butt than I am to make every head in the room turn to watch me float across the floor.  Some things in life just seem to require more of us than other things.  And that's okay.  Life is a learning process.

Maybe one day I will learn the appropriate time to fall.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh yes...those inevitable fictional encounters that throw said heroine and hero together...

    Uhh...not so much in my life either. I don't know if it's from all the romcom's and fiction books I've saturated my mind with over the years (heehee), but as a result I am always on the lookout for those perfect setups...I'm always like, "God, this would be a P E R F E C T situation for you to throw me in with the man of my dreams...hellooo?? Right????"

    Alas...He doesn't seem to share my notions of what will be a good story for me. So, I'm still waiting and I just end up saying to God, "If I can think of these perfect situations, how much better yours should be for me since Your way more creative than me" :))

    Still waiting,
    Jeanine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good way to think about it, God being much more creative than us! The number of times I think, "Ok, God, I am pretty certain this situation would be perfect..." and He doesn't listen... Well, here's to waiting together!

    ReplyDelete