Thursday 13 October 2011

Annal 76: Tale from the Tree

I live in a city surrounded by mountains and forests, and so throw autumn colours into the mix and I am sure you can imagine how beautiful it is this time of year.  On my journey home from the university I have two favourite views.

The first one is while driving.  About three minutes before I would pull into my driveway, or one minute before my bus would pull up to the stop, you travel down this hill.  As you are going down it, the trees clear away from in front of you and you see the baseball diamonds by one of the local high schools.  Beyond those diamonds you see more trees with homes interspersed among them, and mountains in the distance.  Words will never explain what this view does to me.  I don't even know if it is the view itself, so much as the emotions it stirs up.  Every time I drive this, I feel like the heroine in a movie who returns to her small hometown under duress.  Which is bizarre since I live in a city, it is not my hometown, and for the most part I do not feel like I am under duress.  Yet in the movies the heroine coming home usually does so because she is hoping her life will come together. 

I suppose hope is the feeling this image stirs in me.  I don't know why, but every time I see it something catches in my throat, and for a brief moment I hear a whisper that says, "It's going to be okay."

The next view is from the tree that stands in our front yard.  A perk about living in a tree-filled community is that there are leaves EVERYWHERE!  I just got back from a run through the neighborhood and I am fairly certain leaves were carpetting my path.  The thing with this specific tree, though, is that I came back from Thanksgiving to discover that the yellow leaves were not all falling off, but were rather turning to the most brilliant red hue.  It looks as if the tree is sunburned in a way, with yellow fading into orange and then red.  It is breath-taking.

Again, my descriptions do not do justice, and perhaps one day I will take pictures to share them with you guys.  I suppose the significance is that these are two moments that I witness every day that leave me breathless.

My last post about the guy holding the door to Starbucks open for me got me thinking.  How many times does God reveal parts of Himself to us in a day?  How often do we see His signature but not take notice of it?

I'm single, and I can't say as that I have anyone rushing to prove their undying affection for me.  But I have a God who at least twice a day causes my heart to skip a beat as He gives me views that speak to my soul's secret signature.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment