Monday 10 October 2011

Annal 74: Tale from the Faery Godmother

Well, it has definitely been a refreshing Thanksgiving weekend!  Busy at times, but still refreshing.  My sister and I got in Friday night after journeying along dark highways and through what felt like vast construction.  Our crew was complete with my sister's boyfriend in the backseat, along with another girl we gave a ride to... and her rabbit.  And the drive may or may not have involved singing... to Disney songs.  Have I ever told you guys how cool I am?

Saturday morning I made my way to a Parisian brunch.  A dear friend of mine had her first baby at the beginning of September and with the way school worked out I never got a change to meet the little darling.  So all of our friends planned a baby shower/brunch for this weekend so that I could be here for it.  It was spectacular!  We ate crepes and croissants, the room was decorated (complete with a picture of Audrey Hepburn, who just makes everything seem more romantic), and we even had cupcakes with little French messages on them for the little girl.

But my highlight (beyond touching base with my friends, of course)?

Tons of cuddle time. 

I somewhat comandeered the holding of my little faery goddaughter.  Yes, faery goddaughter.  I have a few friends with children for whom I have been dubbed the faery godmother.  I don't fulfill actual godmother roles or anything like that, but throw the word faery before it, and that I can fulfill.  I am the aunt figure in their lives who will always encourage the development of their creativity and imagination.  I once had a friend look at me and say, "You are going to be the cool mom.  Your kids will probably think you're a dork, but their friends will love coming to your house."

And I like that role.  My imagination is a huge part of who I am, and I want to be able to foster that in others.  Besides, I'm single, so it already makes me seem like I'm the slightly eccentric aunt who can get away with things like, "Hurry!  Get in the car!  I'll put a force field up and go into hyper drive, while you fight the bad guys off!"

Ultimately, though, I simply feel honoured.  I feel honoured that I get to be a part of the lives of so many children.  Honoured that when I come to visit I am able to comandeer all of the cuddling time.  Honoured that when women discuss their labours it doesn't scare me off from having my children.  Honoured to be a part of such a circle of friends where I know that I am loved and appreciated despite being single, and despite being childless.  I am fully accepted, and not just accepted, but loved.  I have a particular role to fill right now, and I get to fulfill that.

Despite rough patches, God has a way of getting me through.  I still struggle, I still desire more, I still want to love and be loved.  But God gives me moments like these where I know that even though I am still single, there are people who love ME, and are okay with me being a part of their lives.

Of course, now I really want to go find my little faery and hold her!  And possibly kiss some incredibly chubby cheeks!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you were there! And also so glad I didn't scare you off having kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, not at all!!!! I am just so glad I got to be there for it!

    ReplyDelete