Wednesday 8 June 2011

Annal 20: Tale from the Pacifier

Sometimes when I envision myself I see not what I look like, but more of a feminine version of Vin Diesel in his role in The Pacifier.  I feed kids, bath kids, and get tackled by kids.  And when the kidlets are tucked into bed I blow on my fingers as if I'm blowing on guns.  There's a reason why I tell my students I'm a super hero.

One thing babysitting is good for is making you forget that some of the reasons you are single are as dorky as they are.  Suddenly, being able to contort my face is cool and causes children of all ages to emit giggles.  Singing Christmas carols in the summer?  The coolest thing ever!  Being able to sing "Down by the Bay" with the kids?  Yeah, I'm pretty much an American Idol contestant.  The fact that I spend evenings playing video games?  Kids actually admire that kind of an ability.

So while typically I am reminded constantly of my single status, spending the last few days doing some overnight babysitting has worked wonders for my self-esteem.  Especially when, while cutting pancakes, two little voices tell me, "You look so pretty today."

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment