Wednesday 22 June 2011

Annal 30: Tale from Mount Doom

I came to realization while having a Lord of the Rings marathon with a good friend of mine: Frodo’s journey into Mordor is a metaphor for my journey toward marriage.  Stick with me, this will all make sense.
1.       When the story begins Mordor is not even in sight for Frodo.  At this moment in time, marriage is definitely not on the horizon—I don’t even have a ring to get me there.
2.      Frodo is surrounded by friends who are all on the same mission as him: they have to get to Mordor.  When I started off I too was surrounded by friends who were all looking toward marriage.
3.      A third of the way through the series Frodo is left by all but Sam as they head off on separate adventures.  My friends found spouses while I was still alone, hoping that if I strained my eyes enough I might make out the flames of Mount Doom.
4.      Frodo had many adventures and side quests on his way to Mordor.  My life has taken several twists and turns that I did not expect.  Sometimes I find myself at the Black Gate only to realize that that way is shut and I must go another way.  Other times I may find myself meeting new people in Gondor whom I never would have met had the Black Gate not been shut.
5.      It takes Frodo a great deal of time to make it to Mordor, but he has Sam along to help him.  I’m still trudging on, and at times I feel like there is no end in sight.  But God has granted me a friend who is also making their way toward Mordor.  When I feel like I can’t go on, her encouragement to me is much like Sam’s when he tells Frodo, “I can’t carry the ring for you, but I can carry you!  Come on!”  She helps me carry on with my mission.
The moral to take away from this story?  I am obviously destined to marry Elijah Wood because of the resemblance my life has to a role he acted.
I’m kidding, don’t worry.  I may be delusional, quirky, and occasionally talk in a growly voice while crying out, “It burns, Precious!” but at least I am not completely unrealistic.
I’ll hold out for Eomer.
Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment