Friday 10 June 2011

Annal 22: Tale from a Vintage Photo

Today my class when to a heritage village for a field trip.  It was a fantastic (albeit long) day, and they all seemed to enjoy it.  My students were given a tour of the village and were also able to sit through a 1930s-style lesson.  It was fantastic.  My highlight was when they were told that in many cases teachers would board with the families of their students.  I asked the students what they thought of that idea.  Here are their initial responses:

Student 1: "I would  put itching powder in your underwear."
Student 2: "I would booby-trap your bedroom."
Student 3: "That would be creepy... you would wear slippers."

Once upon a time I may have taken remarks like that to heart.  Pathetic, I know, but I have always been a mildly sensitive person and words have always been important to me.  Teaching has been good for me though.  It has taught me that for each of these remarks students will also say something like, "Ms. S, I think that would be the coolest thing in the world."  I have students who think the best way to spend a night would be reading with me... or having me read The Iliad to them.

To top off our field trip we got a class picture--vintage style.  All of my students were dressed up in old-fashioned clothing.  My girls were in dresses, hats, and gloves, and were sporting either fans, handcuffs, or shotguns.  My boys had bandanas, dusters, cowboy hats, boots, and also shotguns.  Then you had me in my magenta gown, hoop skirt underneath to increase the "poofiness" of the dress.  The first response I got when I stepped out of the changeroom?

"Ms. S, you look bad."

Not so long ago this kind of a response would have choked me up.  But I ignored it, because for this one comment there were about three others telling me I looked good.

The point of this story?  For as long as I can remember I have struggled with my self-esteem.  I had people tell me that I couldn't base my value on what others thought of me, but that never changed how I felt.  I could be told God loved me but that always seemed to be dimmed by my insecurities.  I think God has been teaching me this lesson all year but I didn't realize it until I sat down to start typing an account of today's events.  As a teacher you hear all sorts of things.  In the course of a day I can be told I'm cool, that I "rock," that I'm hated, and that I'm bad.  It could do a number on your self-esteem.  And sometimes it does.  But then I look at the bigger picture.  The wall behind my desk is plastered with 62 (one of my students counted them) pictures that my kids have made for me throughout the school year.  For every sarcastic comment about me I usually either hear from students, or receive notes from them on their assignments, telling me how much they appreciate me. 

My students know what I'm like.  Depending on their moods, or mine, their comments might vary.  But throughout the year they have proved to me what they really think of me, and it is that which shines through.  That's what I cling to.

God knows me.  And He loves me the way I am.  People change.  One day they might love me and the next day they might hate me.  He doesn't.  In the same way that I can't base my self-esteem on my students ever-changing comments, I can't place my value in the ever-changing views of humanity.  God's view is what truly matters.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this is exactly what I needed to hear today. I had one of those days where students say things to you over and over that hurt your feelings without even noticing. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad! I debated over posting it, so this confirmed that I should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you've said in your post, looking at the bigger picture is a great thing to do. :) And 62 pictures - awesome !

    But from one teacher to another are you actually telling these kids how rude they are actually being to you? And how potentially hurtful to others they can be with their words? And the power words have ( both positive and negative? ).

    Sorry if this sounds all preachy and judgey - I really don't mean it to be - I'm just in "Teacher Mentor" mode now after reading a few of your posts.

    I remember making the mistake of taking my classes early comments to heart when I first started teaching until I realised that I wouldn't let an adult speak to me that way and God wouldn't expect me to be a doormat either. So then I began to have "teaching moments" with the kids when they were rude or thought they were being funny ( but really were being rude ). Who better to teach them but their teacher ;)

    And now I am constantly being "stalked" on facebook by ex students - and the ones who had lots of 'teaching moments' with me are some of the ones that have told me as 17 year olds how much they appreciate having me as their teacher when they were 10 :)

    xMiss365

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't sound preachy at all! For the most part my students are pretty good and typically I do talk to them when comments are inappropriate and such. That being said I probably could crack down on them more. I instituted a lot of changes this year in comparison to the teacher they had last year, so I have been attempting to pick my battles. I have a couple of students in my class with behaviour issues and they usually spout the worst of it.

    Thank-you so much for caring enough to say something. It means the world to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew! I was a little worried after I pressed the enter button. :)

    Picking battles is a wise move. Sounds like you are doing a great job with your class :)

    xMiss365

    ReplyDelete