Sunday 26 June 2011

Annal 32: Tale from the Dentist's Chair

Just before Easter I went to the optometrist.  Now I figured this would be my regular trip with my regular eye doctor.  Boy, was I ever wrong.  Turns out there's a new optometrist in the office and he was young and attractive.  Of course I couldn't help but have to fight a sigh as he gently touched my face to stare into my eyes.  Mind you--and this was just my luck--he was also wearing a ring and so fighting a sigh was as far as I allowed myself to go.

A few days ago I went to the dentist.  I have to admit something here: the dentist has always scared me.  I've never had a cavity and never had anything wrong with my teeth, but for whatever reason I've always been scared that I will magically develop a cavity on my journey to my teeth cleaning.  Seeing as it has been about four years since my last visit, I was incredibly nervous.  The dental hygienist was quite nice though, and she set my mind at ease.  Then the dentist walked it.

Let me tell you, he was attractive, young, and wearing no ring.  As he looked at my record he asked my birthday, remarking that I was from the same generation as him when I answered.  He then proceeded to look at xrays and tell me my jaw was remarkably small.  Laugh all you want, but by this point I was clinging to his every word.  This wasn't even the clincher.

He looked in my mouth, told me I needed to get my wisdom teeth out--and soon-- and then told me I had an active infection on one of my wisdom teeth.  This may sound disgusting to you, but for me it led him to say the most romantic thing I have heard in a long time.  While looking into my sunglass covered eyes, my dentist said, "If this starts to hurt, call me.  I know what's wrong and I will call in a prescription right away."

By now you have obviously realized the state of my patheticism.  But, hey, when someone roughly my age who is attractive and ringless takes such good care of you (at this point I'm ignoring the fact that he was my medical profession and thus that was why he said that), it gets you a wee bit exciting.

The result of this whole exchange?  An achy jaw and me spending a weekend on Tylenol 3 and another antibiotic, thus causing a groggy, blurry few days.  Did I at least get a date out of this adventure?  No.  I'm still single and am calling my visit to the dentist romantic.

Lord, I think You need to get me out a little more often than this... I'm turning into the crazy cat lady my students feared I would become--minus the cat.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment