Friday 17 June 2011

Annal 27: Tale from Mr. Darcy's Eyes

I am currently typing this entry while gazing into the intense stare of Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy.  Anyone who has seen the six part mini-series of Pride and Prejudice knows what I am talking about.  And his stare is reserved just for me.
It’s the last day of classes and thus my last day teaching for a while.  I took the year off from school to teach and so in the fall I am going back to university.  As such the staff at the school decided to get me a going away gift.  This gift was a music box with a gorgeous red velvet lining.  And, of course, a picture of Mr. Darcy.  He’s touching his cravat, his dark curls are falling on his forehead, and that piercing stare is holding mine.  Did I mention that while all this is taking place “My Heart Will Go On” is playing from the music box?
The best part about this (if anything can beat Colin Firth) is the quote engraved on the lid.  It says:
“A lady’s imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony, in a moment” –Mr. Darcy.
I don’t think I have ever laughed as hard as I did in that moment when the principal presented me with the gift.  I am surrounded by a staff that cares for each other, and this attested to it.  I am also surrounded by a staff that reads  my blog and relishes in the life of this poor single (my principal is the one who wanted to hook me up with some Mennonite boys from her home colony).
Am I still single?  Yes.  But by golly I feel better about myself when looking into Colin’s eyes.  I’m going to the movies tonight, but I think it very likely that I may smuggle my music box into the theatre with me and possibly set it on the seat beside me.  If I can’t get a human date, at least I can have a pretend one.
Such is the life of a Christian single.

4 comments:

  1. That is such a great parting gift! Was it a hard time being the last day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he was hurt that you kept him in your purse during your first date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica--it was a hard day. A few of my students started crying on me, and then I lost it when the principal called me up during the awards ceremony to give me a present in front of everyone. It was such a good year and now I'm really going to miss all of my kids!

    And, Heidi--I was just protecting him... I was scared what would happen if I let him near the teenie-boppers who were surrounding us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that these kids are going to remember you as one of their most favourite teachers ever :)

    So you're on holidays ( or is it vacation? ) now?

    Let me share my holiday phrase with you....ready?

    "Whoohooooo!!!!!"

    :)

    xMiss365

    ReplyDelete