Wednesday 15 June 2011

Annal 26: Tale from the Sound Effects

So when I'm not spouting off unusual names, claiming to have been a paratrooper during WWII, or telling my students that I'm actually an elf who was born just a few years after St. Patrick was, I'm doing other cool things.  Like telling them how to write sound effects.  Take yesterday's class for example.

Student: "Ms. S, how do would you write the sound of a lightsaber?"
Me: "Well, it sounds like this" *make noise* "so it would be spelled B-Z-Z-Z."  This is not to be confused with the bzzz sound a bee makes... the z sound makes more of a zh noise.
Student: "Ms. S, what sound does a lightsaber make when it stabs someone?"
Me: "Kind of a psh sound."
Student: "How would you spell that?"
Me: "P-S-H."

I know... I know... you don't even have to say.  You've never met someone so cool in all your life, right?  All those years of watching the original Star Wars movies and playing with the action figures have finally paid off.  I knew there was a reason I was geek.

This year has been full of interesting revelations for me.  One of the biggest ones was realizing that I really am a little odd.  To go along with that I realized that God created me with the personality that I have and He loves me for it.  There have been times when I have felt like I didn't belong in a group and where people just shook their heads at me because my interests were at times so different from their own.  But something happened this year.  I became a teacher to a class full of wonderful, creative, quirky students.  And I think God is showing me that there are ways I've been able to relate to them and help them with things that someone less odd, or quirky, would not be able to do.  I like comic books, I like literature, I  like superheroes and video games, but I also love classics.  At times I feel like I'm a walking contradiction, but it works.

So here's to all of the odd quirks out there like myself who sometimes feel like the things that make them who they are are terrible.  I no longer despair (at least not this morning, anyway) because God has shown me that my interests and personality traits are unique--and not in a bad way.  They make me who I am and help me to fulfill the purpose He has set out for me.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment